Today's post comes directly after a visit to my local grocery store for a gallon of milk....
You know you are overly emotional when:
You are standing in the produce aisle and you spy across the way, standing at the deli counter, a man and his girlfriend. From far off, you can tell from behind, that the girlfriend has Down syndrome. He was hugging her around the waist and bossing her around. Ha! The man, having some sort of disability of his own, was also giving the deli guy a hard time - laughing and joking that he was slicing meat to slow and he was gonna tell his boss, etc etc. You are frozen watching this everyday 'normal' life style for them.
You look like a stalker so you pretend to look at the lettuce.
You gather that the man works at this store and he is there shopping and joking around with the deli guy who appears to be his friend and coworker. His girlfriend pats the man on the butt and you giggle slightly embarrassed that you are still staring.
You pick up a tomato to still not look like a stalker.
You see the deli manager come over and the mans girlfriend runs full steam ahead to the manager and embraces her, with what may seem like the biggest hug this side of the planet.
You feel your eyes well up.
You hear the man say, 'Hey that's my lady there, easy!'
The tears get worse and I know I have to move on to another aisle or I may just have picked up every piece of produce in the store. I couldn't help but look back one more time as I wiped a tear away from my eye. A very happy tear.
This is what I wish for my son. Normalcy.
Two grown adults - shopping, caressing, joking with coworkers.
Yes. That is what I want him to have.
And I will do ALL in my power to make sure he succeeds in this. Because everyone deserves, love, friendship and a sense of pride.
And on a side note, we will now be having salad with our dinner.

No comments:
Post a Comment